patriotic nationalisms
A nation celebrated and so did we.
My uncle was so generous to pass me two tickets to the NDP 2005. Having gone a few times before, I wasn't exactly leaping up with joy when he asked me. However, after receiving a enthusiatic response from lamb after casually asking whether she was interested in going for the NDP, I decided this was the year to profess my love for Singapore once again.
The last time I went was in 1999 with an old friend, Tan Wei Yu. Let's just say that experience did not leave me panting for more. Namely because of the bad seating and atrocious weather, the fireworks were behind us and the screens inaccessible. One word: Boring!
Putting that aside, we decided to immerse ourselves in the patriotic spirit which culminates during National Day Celebrations. After all, I always believed that we have the most fun when we just let loose and enjoy each and every moment.
Finally after much abated anticipation, the day finally arrived.
I woke up bright and early eager for the programme to begin. We intended to reach early in case we got thrown to the back and missed out on all the front seat excitements. But as luck would have it, our careful plannings got delayed hour after hour.
There were some last minute panickings as we stressed over the attire which ended up in a minor wardrobe malfunction. I thought that since she did not have any red tops that we would pak kat(erm...synchronise) on the outfits. So it would be essentially white tops. Happily messaging her this 'thought', I narrowed down my options and finally decided on a white blouse and redish pink Vietnamese pants. Woohoo!
We had a teleconversation to arrange on the meeting time and points, however the second miscom was that she thought i said meet half an hour later and i thought she heard meet half an hour later and call before you leave.
So, there I was waiting at home bouncing around the house while she hurried to get down to Tampines. Haha.
We decided to meet at the platform of Bedok instead and imagine my look of horror when I saw her decked out in a red shirt or jersey (loaned to her by good ol AH XI) for that matter. At this point of time, there were numerous red folks dispersed around us, fellow nation lovers they are. And boy did I stand out like a sore thumb.
It all seemed pretty funny actually and got the two of us in giggles.
On the train ride there, I was surrounded by people who needed a steadying hand on the pole. This left me locked in the centre looking sadly like a criminal with my head trapped by the hands. Shihan, happily abandoned me and stood at a corner of the carriage lalala minding her own business. Pui'
Upon alighting at Raffles Place, we saw seas of red and a horrendously long queue. We had exited from EXIT A as instructed by the signs and ended up at the head of the queue, thus we had to proceed back to the beginning of the queue, which led us to another Exit of the MRT. This was all carried out in the hot humid weather that is UNIQUELY SINGAPORE.
Along the way, we did have fun oogling at the men in uniforms where Shihan loudly proclaimed 'I like policeman!', haha. Not to mention how trigger happy we got. Pose take, okay try to look excited.
Finally, we reached Padang!
As we spied our destination looming closer from afar, squeals of laughter and excitement were exchanged and deciding we wanted good seats after all, we embarked on some overtaking manuvuers which basically got us pretty tickled.
As we walked into the makeshift stadium, we realised that the front row was as yet unoccupied as the others preferred to sit higher up so as to ensure a better bird's eye view on the happenings down below. We were tempted to join the crowd but decided upon having some front row entertainment. Afterall, what can beat some real live action up close and personal.
The celebrity motivators had just made their appearance in a bid to rouse the crowd and create a sense of camaraderie amongst the spectators. We were encouraged to explore our fun pack and join in the mass show of support.
Like in any NDP, we did the waving of the flags, more of the waving of the fans, the shaking of the tambourines, the Kallang wave more aptly referred to as the Padang wave here, the Singapore wave, lots of cheering, singing and also a cheographed dance to the chorus of the song by Rui En and Taufik. Not forgetting, the constant clicking of our cameras.
We had fun displaying our affection for the nation and stuck on some tattoos to let everyone know that WE LOVE SINAGPORE!
Apparantly our joy was so visible that our photos were taken by these photographers more than once. Shihan was also interviewed by dong li 88.3. It's funny really.
They took while we did the Kallang wave, while I drank water from the bottle, while we exclaimed at the fireworks display, while we sang the National Anthemn and while we did the pledge.
Does this mean we're going to be famous?
Haha, one of the photographers even gave us two sets of KFC, I believe in appreciation for allowing him to snap so many shots of us.
The parade ended faster than we would have liked it too, although were we watching it at home, we would have been bored out of our wits. You just have to be there to experience it!
Thus, our day at being patriotic citizens came to a brillant close.
But our excitement for the day was yet to be over, in store for us was this one last laugh.
We proceeded to Bugis to have our dinner as we were unsure as to whether we had stomped on the KFC in our excitement.
We were exhausted and we impatiently waited at the bus stop for 12 to bring us to the warmth of our homes. Finally, like an answer to our prayers, we saw 12 edging towards the bus stop. If you have been to Bugis, you would know that that particular bus stop has a tendency to be jam packed. 12 was at the back and we made a rush for it.
After I finally managed to board the bus, I received a call from Shihan enquiring about my whereabouts, she then told me to go up to the second deck to find her.
I climbed the steps perilously as the bus shakily made its way from the bus stop. Before I reached the second floor, I received another phone call from Shihan.
Han: Where are you?
Cie: I'm climbing up the stairs, okay I've reached the second deck (scanning the passengers, trying to find Han.) but I don't see you.
Han: Did your bus just move away from the bus stop?
Cie: Yeah, (sensing something is suspiciously wrong) whhhhy?
Han: Stacie! I think you're on the wrong bus! Number 12 is just stopping at the Bugis bus stop.
Cie: Whaat! Haha...no wonder I can't seem to find you. Okay I will alight two stops from Bugis.
Getting up bus number 12 for the second time and correctly for once, I sat two rows behind Shihan and neither of us could stop the giggles for a good 15 mins as she furiously shook her head in disbelief.
Side note:
I haven't got up the wrong bus in ages! The previous time was in primary school and I recall vividly how I waved to the correct bus behind thinking that there were two buses of the same number. The friend I met on the bus must have thought that I was mad.
Imagine his face when I realised that the bus I was on the wrong bus when it took a different route from the one behind! ARGH
I didn't look, I was too embarrassed alighting. =X
That was until Shihan had to alight halfway to pee. haha
T'was a FUNny day indeed!
tInkerdOll
Wednesday, August 10, 2005
---++---