when the laughs fail...
I'm in so much pain now, it is not even remotely funny.
I recently had my wisdom tooth extracted as it was giving me gum problems because of the way it is positioned. Therefore, infections set in resulting in the most unbearable pain imaginable.
Pain when I eat, talk, swallow and basically any other mouth involving functions. It was a miserable 5 days, until I could not tolerate it any further, practically begging my mum to arrange an appointment with the dentist to get the darn tooth out.
I was prepared to go for it and get rid of the root of all EVIL once and for all.
However, seeing that my appointment was arranged in a haste, the dentist could only spare enough time for a check up and to issue me some medicine. Therefore, the date to extract my tooth was scheduled for the following week. Truthfully, I was elated at not having to extract my tooth that day (given my phobia of visits to the dentist).
The build up to the dreaded day was filled with I want to eat the best food I can find, quick quick let's go before I cannot eat for quite some time again.
My parents accompanied me down to the clinic for the actual operation seeing that they needed to attend to the bills and also to provide me moral support and a ride home.
To put it simply, I was nerve wrecked. Luckily, I had a nice dentist who made small talk and assured me ever so often on how he would be gentle. I was somewhat comforted by that however nothing could ease the tension completely away.
The operation proceded smoothly amidst lots of clenched fingers, concentations on deep breathing and futile attempts at communication in response to the dentist. It was quite a comical experience though, sounding more like gurgled acknowlegments.
- Tense moments were when the sucking pipe was first placed in the mouth. It landed quite unfortunately at the tip of the oesophagus and I almost thought I would run out of air.
- The various objects which were placed in my mouth during the operation. All the movement and the noise was scary.
- The constant tugging of the tooth. It was kind of weird, feeling the pulls but not actually feeling the sensations due to the local anaesthetic.
I was flooded with relief at the end of the entire operation. Got a little too hyped up that the dentist got worried that I might not be mentally prepared for the pain to come. Kept reminding me about the swell that would make me look like a chipmunk. -bleah-
Never did I know that the worse was yet to come.
I managed to have my last painless dinner with the remaining effects of the anaesthetic.
Thinking I could outsmart the pain by taking the medication before was just wishful thinking on my part.
I was simply overwhelmed by the intense pain that followed suit, it was incruciating and terribly unbearable. I could not find a comfortable position to rest, be it; lying , sitting, squatting or putting my head in my hands. Tears flowed in a desperate attempt to relieve the tension in my head.
So for the ensuing days, I was struck down with fever and stomach aches not to mention that funky taste in my mouth. Terribly vomit inducing. Coupled with the incredible bulge...on my face. Kind of how I would look like if I put on too many kilos.
Now, it's the 5th day since my operation and the swell has gone down considerably but the funky taste is there and the blood that I used tissue to wipe out has this incredibly stink to it. Like it is rotten or something.
My cheek hurts terribly and so does my gum, I guess from clamping down on the numerous tissues to soak up the foul tasting and smelling blood. It really is not much, just that I cannot withstand anymore of the taste.
Research online has given me reason to suspect that it might be infected. (Please NO!) And so, I would have to check with my dentist on this aspect and hopefully he can help me find a way to get rid of the pain and return me back to my former health 'painless' status.
I'm just really worried and paranoid now. The medication doesn't help much and all this is causing me to feel depressed. I do not like to be confined within 4 walls and I hate feeling sick.
So hope that all goes well for me. Sigh, that all said and done, I have another wisdom tooth that i MUST extract, Oh boy...I think the entire chair is going to shake from the tension and quivers in my body the next time.
Help! I do not think I can undergo another likewise ordeal. It is driving me crazy. Don't they have magic potions to just make those darn wisdom teeth disappear? They serve no purpose and mainly are there to cause pain and suffering and to place ka-ching in the pockets of dentists.
It is at times like this that I truly wonder whether God is a prankster.
tInkerdOll
Tuesday, May 02, 2006
---++---